Thursday, June 26, 2008
How do YOU deal?
Saturday morning began with a flat tire, a traffic jam just outside of Knoxville, and an unhappy 3 year old and 5 month old in the backseat. Being the only adult in the car, it's not like I could climb over the seat and entertain them. It wasn't the worst trip ever, but by 5 pm we were only an hour and a half from Grandma Pammy and Papa Nick's house and I was getting pretty anxious for the trip to be finished. Emily started screaming. So I pulled over at a Starbuck's, changed a diaper, took Ava to the bathroom, got a coffee for me and a snack for Ava and fed Emily. "There," I thought. "They should be set until we get there" Ava put on her headphones and was happily watching Aladdin. I felt good as the mini van cruised off the ramp and back onto the interstate. And then the screaming started from the backseat. Emily was not tired, not hungry, not dirty, and most of all, not happy. She was SO over the road trip. Attempts to distract her were in vain. An hour and a half more. Just 90 minutes. I'm almost there. Do I pull over and just postpone the crying or keep on heading to the promised land? Finally I grabbed for my iPod, shoved those great little marshmallow earphones that block out all sound into my ears, scrolled to the play list I appropriately titled "CHILL" and cruised into Indy, sipping my Starbucks and watching Miss Emily's red little face in the rear view.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are a stronge mom way to go.
Post a Comment