Thursday, December 3, 2009

November in a Nutshell...

November seems to have flown by! In addition to being away from home 3 out of the 4 weekends in November, we squeezed in Ava's 5 year check-up, dentist appointment, and parent-teacher conferences at school. The verdict: she's a healthy, bright (and slightly mischevous), cavity-free, "normal" 5 year old. Very good to know. Emily is growing up fast. I can't believe that she's almost 2! She adores her big sister and wants to imitate everything. You should see some of the stuff that Ava puts her up to! Actually, since Emily is talking more...you should hear some of the things that Ava has taught her to say! They are definitely keeping me on my toes now that they've figured out how to join forces and plot against me. : )

This month began with such beautiful, mild weather that we enjoyed playing outdoors in the final, lingering days of fall. We spent a day at the beach and the Great Lakes Science Center. I had hoped to take some pictures for our Christmas card, but my subjects were less than cooperative about posing, so I got some action shots instead. Huntington Beach always provides a gorgeous back drop for pictures, no matter the season.

In the second weekend in November, Ava and I took off with our friends Staycie and Anna (Ava's bff from school and dance class) to meet up with some other moms on our mommy board. Our first girl's weekend away! Woo hoo! Road trip! Mike stayed behind with Emily. Also a first...I knew that there was no way Miss Emily was getting any sleep with a 5 year old's slumber party happening in the hotel room. We had fun meeting the other moms, checking out the Erie Children's Museum, and swimming in the hotel pool. It was fun to see how excited the girls were about the whole experience and reminded me of those girl's weekends that I used to take with my mom and grandma and sisters. Definitely a tradition that I want to keep up!

Back home again, we began to gear up for the holidays with lots of talk about what we are thankful for. Emily and I attended Ava's Thanksgiving chapel at her school. The kids all make hats for the occasion. This year Ava's class were the turkeys. Last year they were Indians (well, warriors. It's not PC to call them Indians). There were also Pilgrims and Mayflowers. It was so cute to see all of the classes crowded into the chapel with their Thanksgiving headresses. We headed home to Indiana the weekend before Thanksgiving for an early celebration with my family, then down to Mike's parent's on Tuesday for a couple of days. We made it back to Ohio on Friday after Thanksgiving to find snow on the ground! The girls were psyched! We immediately had to put on our snow clothes and go "be" in the snow.(Ignoring our suitcases completely). And now it's December... half of the Christmas decorations are up (I'm sitting here blogging instead of finishing them right now), lists are made, Ava is vying for the position of Mary in the school nativity scene, and we're looking forward to a wonderful holiday season together. Hope all of you are enjoying your holidays too!

Here are the pics from November:

No comments: