
Anyone remember this kid? Miss Never-Met-A-Stranger? Big blue eyes....big attitude to match, sweet lil' baby rolls, infectious laugh...
Well, this is her yesterday...outside of her ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!

I love that this school system hosts a test run day. I rode the bus with her, went to class, met the teacher, and carefully put away all of her supplies. It was apparent very early in the experience that this day was more for me than for her. She was the only kid who didn't sit with her parent on the bus. Instead, she sat on her own and made friends with the kids around her.
In a stroke of good luck, we found out that Ava's best friend, Anna, was accepted into her class (Anna's family lives in another school's area, but her older brother attends the Special Needs program at Ava's school.) These two together = double trouble!

The teacher must've gotten a heads up, because their seats are on completely opposite sides of the classroom.
Today, was Ava's first "real" day of school. All by herself. She was up early and in our bed with lots of questions in addition to wardrobe and hair ideas (she needed to wear a dress...with a curly pony tail) for the big day.
Mike stayed home from work to see her off. Emily thought it was all fun and games until her best playmate got on the bus and she was left behind. Of course, I was the picture of strength. Okay, so maybe I shed a few tears behind my dark, over-sized glasses. Whatever.
Truthfully, I didn't think about this milestone too carefully as I rushed around going over the supply check list, filling out paperwork and filling up her backpack. I find that keeping busy is the best way to indulge denial, don't you? But when that bus pulled away today...it felt like my heart had left with it for a few minutes.
Em seemed a little lost this afternoon. She kept asking, "When we pick Ava up?" I played it cool and answered her patiently, but I felt the same way. I kept hitting the keys on my cell phone to check the time. When the time finally came to walk to the school and collect our kindergartner, I was so excited to hear about her day. I stood at the school doors, craning to see her through the glass. And then she burst out...and right past me! "Hello!" I called after her as she hurried across the grass with her neighborhood friends. I knew that she had seen me. "Ava! Avaaaaaaa!" She finally turned. "Oh. Hi mommy! Can I go to Lauren's house?" I was dumbfounded for a moment. Clearly she had not pined for her little sister and I during her hours at school.
It turns out a small group of neighborhood school kids and moms were gathering at a neighbor's house, closest to the school, on the way home. I had envisioned us sitting around the kitchen table, sipping milk and eating the cookies that I had baked for her while going over the play-by-play of her first day of kindergarten. Instead, she bopped ahead with her "gang". A little later, I pressed for details, as she curled up on the couch and I began dinner. She just sighed, "Mom, I just want to relax for a minute." What?! You're 5...not 15! I tried again, but she was already absorbed in The Disney Channel.
I did finally get my chance to hear all about kindergarten at bedtime tonight. I included part of this conversation in the video below.
As I gave her "one last hug" tonight she said, "You know, my bus went all the way to the city today. I went into the city WITHOUT YOU!" And then she laughed. She was pretty proud of herself.
After we said our prayers together and I tucked her in, I stood outside of her room and said a prayer of my own. I prayed that she would always love learning. I prayed that she would continue her enthusiasm for school. I prayed that she makes good decisions and shows caring and compassion to her peers and respect to her teachers. I prayed that she is able to remain true to herself and her values and realizes what is really important in this life. I prayed that she knows how much her daddy and I love her. I prayed for the ability to make good decisions in the way that we parent this bright, shining child that we have been SO blessed with.
I said a kindergarten prayer. : ) It's a prayer that I'm sure I will repeat many times over the next 13-17 years.
I hope that all of your kiddos have a great year of school!
3 comments:
Crying over here..sniff sniff..glad she had a great first day!
Well written! Grandma has a tear in her eye. It is hard to believe our Avy is so grown up. What a wonderful adventure in life she started yesterday!
Memories..this reminded me of my daughter's first day..she's nineteen and off to college--sniff. Congratualtiona Ava on your first day! Miss you a lot. Love Mrs. DeMattie
Post a Comment