Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ava of the North



The last thing I do before I climb into bed at night is look in on the girls. This is what I saw when I tucked Ava in last night. I had to sneak back in with my camera, it was too good not to capture.

She's had this thing about winter clothes lately. Last week, it was raining and she claimed it was "cold and bwustery(l's are w's)" and insisted that she wear her cut velvet pea coat over her shorts and tee shirt when we went to the grocery. Uh, it's July in Georgia. The other moms at the store all just nodded with a knowing look, but she got quite a few "Nice coat" comments from other patrons and employees at Kroger. After every such comment, she looked at me defiantly...as in: "See Mom, I told you it's okay to wear my coat right now". I had tried to talk her out of it before leaving the house and then again before entering the store. I had explained that people would think her "weird" for wearing a winter coat in the middle of July.

Two days ago, while lounging in a tank top and undies, I found her with 2 pair of my Karen Neuberger socks, one pair pulled up to her knees (they looked like furry go go boots on her scrawny lil' legs) and the other pair over her hands and pulled up to her elbows. "Ava, don't you think it's a little warm for those?" I asked. To which she replied, "No, Mommy. I like cold weather. I wish it was cold weather here ALL of the time." If that's true, I think she'll be very happy where we're headed tomorrow.

No comments: