Friday, November 7, 2008

Emily's 10 Month Report

She's 10 months now! I know that I keep saying this, but I've forgotten how much fun babies are at this stage. One of my favorite developments that has really emerged in the last couple of weeks is that Emily knows what to do with "stuff". If she picks up a phone it goes to her ear and she babbles away. If she picks up a comb she puts it to her head and tries to give herself a little baby hairstyle. Yesterday she found Mike's belt laying on the floor and she carefully wrapped it around her mid-section. She knows where it goes! It's a nice change from just putting everything in her mouth. Oh and baby dolls....she loves baby dolls right now. She gives them kisses and says "Awwww." No other words to report yet, but she knows the sound to express affection. It's very sweet to watch.

She's still into everything. Tearing laundry out of baskets, Tupperware out of cupboards and books off of shelves, to name a few. She's cruising all around the furniture and starting to stand on her very own. She's a climber just like her big sister was at this age. She climbs onto the rocking chair, love seat, dishwasher....

Her favorite place to be right now is on the stairs. I know, not good. We have them barricaded, but as soon as she hears the gate move, she's off like a rocket toward the stairs with the hope that we might let her climb. She's pretty brave. Our stairs are scary. There are big spaces between them that she could fall through! Mom, if you're reading, I promise that she is never on the stairs unchaperoned. The video clip not only shows her climbing the stairs, but also her ability to stand. A little.

I do have to brag on Ava's problem solving skills for a moment here. Ava loves her High School Musical dance mat. The problem is, so does Emily. And why wouldn't she, it's got that crinkly texture babies love, not to mention lights and music. She's like a moth to a flame with that thing. Consequently, throughout the day I hear, "Mom! Emily is on my dance mat again. MOM! Get her!" and "Get off baby! This is not for babies. Get off!" followed by poor Emily wailing broken-heartedly. Finally, this morning I told Ava that if Emily was bothering her that she just needed to move the dance mat into another room and play with it there. Then it got quiet. Ahhh. Sweet silence. Then the music started again. I was just getting ready to remind Ava that I asked her to take the mat to another room when I looked up to see Emily bouncing to the music on the AquaDoodle water paint mat and Ava happily dancing away on her dance mat right next to her. Problem solved...at least momentarily. Go Ava. Good thinking!

If you can look past Ava's crazy dancing, you'll see Emily behind her and to the right, trying to get up off of the floor and dance along. Oh, and please pardon the mess. I promise that the house got cleaner as the day went on. Here are Ava and Emily from this morning:

3 comments:

Katie@ThisCrazyLife said...

Gotta love the purple underpants comment! Kids are too funny!

Hatten Family said...

Ava sounds like me right now "take a picture of my belly!"...too cute!

Katie@ThisCrazyLife said...

Yes the rest of the house got sick too. I think we are finally on the upswing but don't quote me on that!