Saturday, January 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Emily!

A whole year! Actually, one year ago at this time I was on my way to my 40 week appt. at the OB. They sent me on to the hospital and about 4-5 hours after I checked in, there was our beautiful baby Emily. I remember the time because last year's writers strike meant no new episodes of Grey's Anatomy. On this night though, a new episode was airing and I was happy to have something to watch from my hospital bed. The nurses were joking with me about not missing my show and I informed them that Emily would not arrive until after 10. Well, I did get to see the whole thing, but I was a little distracted at the end.

Emily had a bit of a rough start. She was seemingly fine for her first few hours of her life, but by the morning she couldn't keep anything down. She was whisked off to the the NICU while I was in the shower and ended up staying there for 5 days. She was on an IV for 3 days with no feedings until the doctor could rule out infection, a bowel blockage, and whatever else they were looking for. It was a scary time and I'm thankful for the support and prayers of my family and friends. I saved all of the emails and letters. It turns out that Emily was just fine and we got to bring her home on Tuesday Jan. 15th. Despite her stressful beginning, Emily has spent every day since she came home from the hospital making us smile. She really is a joy.

When Ava turned one, I spent days and days to compile a slideshow of her first year. I met with the multi media guy every day after school for help. Ava's slide show ended up being 4 discs because we couldn't figure out how to save more information on each disc. The soundtrack was on a separate CD because I didn't have a program to lay a music track over the pictures. Now I look back and I'm grateful that I've improved my knowledge of technology. I ended up making Emily's First Year DVD on One True Media, because it was the quickest and easiest, but I think we've got 2 or 3 programs on our desktop that would've done the job. I worked for a little bit every night after the girls were in bed and I'd finished the cooking blog. That said, this movie is about 40 minutes long. It contains my favorite pictures and video clips from each month of Emily's first year. If you're coming to the party next weekend, you might want to save yourself the 40 minutes and watch it on our television. If not and you have 40 extra minutes in your day, enjoy the show. I know it's not really that entertaining looking at 280 pictures of someone else's kid, even if it is set to music. Of course, it makes me cry every single time I watch it.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

What a treasure for you to have this video over the years! Very, very cool! I wasn't able to watch all of it because my computer didn't like the size of the file (boo!), but I did make it through March! Well done, my friend! That first song gets me every time; yep, I was crying, too! :)

kim bledsoe said...

I watched the whole thing. you did a good job. They grow up so fast. The other day Kerstin was watching when she was a baby.