A little over a year ago, I had no idea of how devastating the diagnosis, "Your child has autism" could be. I had no idea of the day to day challenges of raising a special needs child. And then we moved to Ohio and made some wonderful friends. A family whose son has autism. Over the last year I've learned so much more about what life with a special needs child is like. The various types of therapy, adaptations to be made in the home and at school, and the obstacles that exist to overcome. Today, I am more aware. In October our family walked in the Cleveland Autism Walk in support of our friends. The more research that can be funded, the more help and answers will be available to children living with autism. Here are my pictures of today's walk and some pics I snapped of our new city along the way.
By the time we returned home from the walk it was Emily's naptime. I was pretty beat too, so Emily and I retired to our rooms for a rest. Ava never runs out of energy, so she headed out to the garage to "help" daddy. When I came down with Emily a couple of hours later I found Ava on a small stage in our driveway, belting out Disney tunes. This explained all of the banging and pounding I'd heard outside my bedroom window. They'd been hammering nails into scrap wood to construct a stage. Mike carried the stage to the basement and hooked up a microphone for our little performer while I made dinner. I could hear Ava interviewing Mike as he tried to clean the basement. I wish I'd have gotten that on camera. Funny stuff! Here is some of the footage that I did record of Ava and her trusty sidekick, Emily on the new stage. This kid loves to hear the sound of her own voice(Gee...I wonder who she gets that from?)and she's very proud of how high she can sing. You'll see...you might just need to adjust your volume through the screechy parts. : ) Oh, and if there's any confusion about who actually taught Emily to talk, this should clear it up.
Please excuse our basement, it's a work in progress...


1 comment:
that is too cute. she is a good singer. Kerstin loves to sing too.
Post a Comment