Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Great Outdoors

Here is an excerpt from an article I read over the weekend:

Taking Children Outdoors
Do you have a significant relationship with a child? Maybe
you are a parent, grandparent, or other family member.
Maybe you are a scout leader, friend, or neighbor. Whatever
your role, as an adult you are responsible for creating a safe
environment in which a child can play, learn, and grow.
Sadly, our desire to protect has had unintended consequences.
Fears about strangers and germs, as well as the
lure of electronic entertainment, have driven our children
indoors. Their lives are more sedentary and removed
from nature than those of past generations. When they are
outside, it tends to be for group activities directed by adults.
Rare is the child who explores the outdoors at his or her
own pace, following a stream or flight of imagination. The
days of “come back home when it gets dark” are long gone.
Ironically, this over protectiveness is actually harmful
to children’s physical and mental health. New research
indicates that nature experiences are linked to positive
gains in cognitive development, self-discipline, creative
expression, motor and language skills, and social interactions.
Children who regularly play in nature generally
demonstrate greater self esteem, are better able to deal
with stress, and are often healthier. Many believe that
outdoor experiences are critical to the development of a
sense of wonder that, in turn, is an important motivator for
lifelong learning.


I'm not getting on my soapbox here. Admittedly, there are days that my child watches enough Playhouse Disney that she might turn into a Mouseketeer. I think this just grabbed my attention because the article reflects the way that I was privileged to grow up. I remember how magical the exploration of the woods behind our house could be. I remember building forts and hideouts with my sisters and our good friends, the Anglin kids, and catching "critters" in the the pond. Swinging on vines and climbing trees. When my mom honked the horn on the car, it was time to head home. No cell phones back then.
Certainly, I won't be turning Ava lose in the woods anytime soon. But my upbringing probably does explain why I take her hiking and "exploring" whenever the opportunity presents itself.

The DNR here has started a cool program for kids: http://www.exploretheoutdoorsohio.com/ActivityGuide/explore_about/tabid/20224/Default.aspx

I particularly enjoyed the last quote from that site in the right-hand green box following the stats:

I like to play indoors better ‘cause that’s where all the electrical outlets are.
– A Fourth-Grader in San Diego

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

Just some FFT this fine Tuesday.

3 comments:

Katie@ThisCrazyLife said...

okay you made me think... Now I feel like a bad parent. I rea;ized last week that Reagna knows how to navigate her way around YouTube. Not good right. Though in my defense, Lili taught her that. Maybe it's time to head "up North" to "the big L" and do some more exploring!

Krista said...

Yay! I've guilted you into a visit! Book your trip now. : )
My dad and Riley surf YouTube together regularly. I pull up Beetles videos there for Ava to sing along on our computer microphone. It's all good.

Krista said...

Oops. That's Beatles. Geesh. Learn to spell already, right?