Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Trip to the Ohio & Erie Canal

Sunday afternoon we headed to the National Park and did a little more fishing and some hiking too. Ava was psyched because she reeled in 3 little sunfish. She's still set on eating her catch, but luckily this was catch and release, so I haven't had to clean and fry anything yet. We hit the Towpath Trail and had a great time walking and climbing the old locks before we got soaked by the rain. I remember learning about the Erie Canal in school so it was cool to get to see some of it in person and climb on the locks that were once covered with water. I also have to say that I'm loving the all-terrain jogging stroller for these trips! Here is a little history lesson and then I put our pictures from the day into a slide show. Just click the link at the bottom.

History of the Towpath Trail
The Towpath Trail follows the historic route of the Ohio & Erie Canal. Before the canal was built, Ohio was a sparsely settled wilderness where travel was difficult and getting crops to market was nearly impossible. The canal, built between 1825 and 1832, provided a successful transportation route from Cleveland, on Lake Erie, to Portsmouth, on the Ohio River. The canal opened up Ohio to the rest of the settled eastern United States.
Today you can walk or ride along the same path that the mules used to tow the canal boats loaded with goods and passengers. You can still see remnants of that former scene as you pass many of the canal locks and related structures. From the vantage point of the Towpath Trail you can also enjoy the beauty of forests, fields, and wetlands flanking the path as it winds its way through the Cuyahoga River Valley.


No comments: