Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Arrested!

From time to time my sweet daughter decides to remove her safety belt while the car is in motion. I may have said to her once or twice that if she did not sit in her seat and keep her belt on that I, her precious mommy, could be arrested. About 3 months ago, I got pulled over. It's no secret that I have a bit of a lead foot. Always have. Anyhow, when the officer approached the car, Ava blurted out, "Are you going to arrest my mommy?" The officer answered, "We'll see" and then took my license and registration back to his car. When he returned my paperwork with a warning, he let Ava know that he would not be arresting me that day. Nice. Apparently my knack for flying under the radar had run out, and later that week I got pulled over again. This time I was slapped with a ticket and a court date. Needless to say, I am reformed (by force of the law and insurance premiums).

Now fast forward to Career Week at Ava's preschool. The assignment was to talk to your child about your job. Then the kids shared what their parents do for a living during Show and Tell. At breakfast on Wednesday morning Ava announced, "Billy's dad is a COPS."(I'm not sure why she was using the plural for cop, but it was pretty amusing.) She went on, "HE arrests people. Cops is another name for a police officer." I told her she was right and went on making breakfast.

On Thursday afternoon the twins in Ava's class had their 5th birthday party. The whole class and most of the mommies were in attendance. While the kids ate their pizza, the moms sat together, catching up. We were talking about career week. I shared the "Billy's dad is a cops" story. Including the part where Ava said he arrests people. Thank goodness I brought it up because that's when Katie's mom said, "Yes, I heard that at dinner last night... right before Katie told us that 'Ava's mommy got arrested'."

What?! Apparently, not to be outdone, when Billy said that his dad arrests people, Ava blurted out, "Well, my mommy has BEEN arrested!"

Great. I wonder what her teachers think I got arrested for...

At least I got a chance to clear my name with the other moms.

2 comments:

kim bledsoe said...

that is too funny. I am sorry for the ticket but that is just soo funny. I know the one time I got pulled over kerstin was about the age and she she asked if we were going to jail. it is good to see ava doing all that stuff she needs to come talk to hallie about learning

Deanna said...

Oh my goodness, out of the mouths of babes..... hilarious! :)