Tuesday, March 3, 2009

On the Road to Literacy

I spent the first part of Ava's life looking forward to the milestones: first tooth, rolling, crawling, first words...I guess it never occurred to me that one day she'd be old enough to read and write. It just seemed so far away.

In the last 6 months, she's learned all of her letters and can write most of them with accuracy. In the last few weeks she's been asking me to spell words for her so that she can write them down. She even practices in the salt and grime on the side of our car. Lovely.

She's not actually reading yet. Not in the way that she can sound out words for herself, but she is pretty good at memorization and she recognizes words by the way that they look. So if I point to words like: cat, the, see, foot, and so on she can tell me the word.

We're on the road to literacy. Pretty exciting stuff!

I put together a few clips from the last couple of days of her "reading" and writing. We also had The Alphabet Bag again this week. You may remember the Alphabet Bag from September when we had the letter "A". Well, this time we were in charge of the letter "Q". Ava's presentation of "A" was certainly more animated. In this video she looks like I drugged her with Ritalin before showing me the 5 items in our house beginning with the letter "Q". Oh well. Hopefully she had a little more enthusiasm when she got to school.

No comments: